Information about Rhodes (Rodos)
Rhodes (Rodos) is the largest of the Dodekanissos (Dodecanese) islands both in population and land area. The island is situated in the South Eastern part of the Aegean Sea some 260 nautical miles from Piraeus (Athens main Port). The population in 2001 was 115.000.
The capital of the Island is Rhodes (Rodos) city and it is located on the North Eastern part of the Island. There are 10 municipalities: Afantou, Archangelos, Atavyros, Ialyssos, Kalythea, Kameiros, Lindos, Petaloudes, Rhodes (Rodos) and South Rhodes.
There are 4 ports in Rhodes (Rodos). 3 of them are located in the City of Rhodes (Rodos).
- Rhodes (Rodos) Central Port: serves domestic and international traffic (Coordinates: 36°26'49.77"N - 28°13'47.89"E).
- Kolona Port: Opposite the central port, Serves mostly local traffic to other Dodecanese islands and large yachts.
- Akandia Port: Located next to the central port, serves cruise ships on high peak days. It is destined to serve both domestic and international traffic.
- Kameiros Port: Serves ferries to the Island of Halki (Coordinates: 36°16'21.99"N - 27°49'28.11"E).
Useful info: Port Authority tel. 22410 22220, Greek Tourist Police: +30 22410 23329
A. Ferry from Piraeus to Rhodes (Rodos)
Conventional ferries: between 13 and 19 hours depending on the vessel & route.
B. Transportation from/to the Port of Rhodes (Rodos)
Rhodes (Rodos) Taxi
There are many taxis in the city of Rhodes (Rodos) serving all destinations. During the summer, the demand is big and therefore one might need to wait quite a while. Taxis can be found in specified taxi ranks or by phone.
- City of Rhodes (Rodos): +30 22410 64734/27666
- Afandou: +30 22410 51777
- Kremasti: +30 22410 94528
- Lardos: +30 22440 23333
- Airport: +30 22410 814 61
Rhodes (Rodos) KTEL Buses
These are state-owned buses that serve villages and resorts in the east coast. The are coloured yellow - orange.
- Schedule info: +30 22410 27706/24268
Rhodes (Rodos) Municipal company of Transports (RODA)
"RODA" has the transport exploitation of the Urban area (city of Rhodes (Rodos)), the Surrounding areas (Koskinou - Kastri - Ialyssos - Kremasti - Pastida - Maritsa and Paradeisi) and the Long-Distance area of the Western Side of the island of Rhodes (Rodos) (Damatria, Theologos, Soroni, Dimylia, Eleousa, Arhipoli, Platania, Apollona, Fanes, Kalavarda, Mandriko, Kritinia, Salakos, Empona, Agios Isidoros, Sianna and Monolithos). Furthermore, "RODA" serves with special services students of all the areas that belong to its transport competence, as well as all those working in various companies and services.
- Schedule info: +30 22410-26300 (from 07.00 am to 21.30pm)
- Complaints: +30 22410-24129
There are four, so called, “ferry schedule seasons”:
- Winter ferry season 1 st of November until 31 st of March.
- Spring ferry season 1 st April - beginning of June
- Summer ferry season beginning of June - mid September
- Autumn ferry season rest of September - 31 st of October
Ferry connections and schedules for domestic routes, like Rhodes (Rodos), are usually announced by most shipping companies, a couple of weeks before the beginning of each season. There are some exceptions though, like Blue Star ferries, which announces schedules in the beginning of the year. G.A Ferries usually announce their schedules very late and for short periods.
- Morning: There are no morning schedules.
- Afternoon & Night: Daily at least one, usually two. Usually depart late afternoon and arrive early next morning.
Conventional car ferries
These vessels can be divided into two categories: the old ones and the modern ones. The main differences between them are their cruising speed, the quality of accommodation and services provided and the prices.
They are usually very big vessels, which also carry vehicles. Their advantages compared to the High Speed vessels, like the catamarans, are that they are more seaworthy, offer more “relaxed” accommodation and cabins and the passengers have the possibility to sit outside and enjoy their cruise around the Greek islands.
Smoking is not allowed in any inside area of any ship.
- Athens: Piraeus (Athens main port) – click here for port information
- Cyclades Islands: Amorgos, Anafi, Milos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Syros
- Dodekanissos Islands: Agathonisi, Astypalea, Chalki, Kalymnos, Karpathos, Kassos, Kos, Leros, Lipsi, Megisti, Nissyros, Patmos, Symi, Tilos
- Crete: Heraklio, Lasithi
- Northern Aegean: Chios, Samos
Prices quoted below concern 2016, for the most popular routes, in economy class and are indicative. Same prices apply v.v. These prices are subject to change without prior notice.
|Rhodes (Rodos) Ferry Routes||Ferry types|
|Piraeus (Athens) - Rhodes (Rodos) ferries||approx. 64€/adult||-|
|Dodekanese - Rhodes (Rodos) ferries|
|Rhodes (Rodos) - Symi ferry||approx. 18€/adult||-|
|Rhodes (Rodos) - Patmos ferry||approx. 38€/adult||approx. 49€/adult|
*Note: Hydrofoils/Catamarans usually operate between May and October.