Information about Syros
Syros is the administrative and legal center of the Cyclades island complex, with Ermoupoli being both the capital of the island and of the Cyclades. Until the beginning of the 20th century Syros was the head of the Greek maritime industry and also played a great role in the establishment of the first Greek Constitution.
The fact that Syros is the only island that has equal amounts of both Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches as well as congregations makes it unique amongst the Greek islands. Ermoupoli, being also the port of the island is overlooked by Ano Syros, a medieval settlement with breathtaking views of the nearby islands. Worth seeing are Possidonia a preserved traditional municipality, Galissas and Kini with wonderful beaches on the west coast as well as Finikas which is recommended for surfing.
Ermoupolis, situated on the North Eastern side of the island.
Coordinates: 37º 26’ 34,83” N - 24º 56’ 33,86” E
Useful Information about Syros
There are busses and taxis connecting the Port and the airport with the rest of the island.
Information about Syros bus schedules: +30 22810 82575
Syros Taxi service: +30 22810 86222
Syros Hospital: +30 22810 86666
Syros Airport: +30 22810 81900
Syros Police: +30 22810 96100
Syros port authority: +30 22810 88888
Ferry from Piraeus to Syros
- Conventional ferries: min. 4 1/2 hours - max. 5 1/2 hours
There are four, so called, "ferry schedule seasons":
- Winter ferry season 1st of November until 31st of March.
- Spring ferry season 1st April - beginning of June.
- Summer ferry season beginning of June - mid September.
- Autumn ferry season rest of September - 31st of October.
Ferry connections and schedules for domestic routes, like Syros, are usually announced by most shipping companies, a couple of weeks before the beginning of each season. There are some exceptions though, like Blue Star ferries, which announces schedules in the beginning of the year.
- Morning: Daily at least 1 Hydrofoil and 1 conventional ferry.
- Afternoon: Six times a week 1 conventional ferry.
Information concerning Athens ports serving routes to Syros can be found further down.
Conventional car ferries
These vessels can be divided into two categories: the old ones and the modern ones.
The main differences between them are
- their cruising speed
- the quality of accommodation and services provided and
- the prices
They are usually very big vessels, which also carry vehicles. Their advantages compared to the High Speed vessels, like the catamarans, are that they are more seaworthy, offer more "relaxed" accommodation and cabins and the passengers have the possibility to sit outside and enjoy their cruise around the Greek islands.
Catamarans & Hydrofoils
These vessels are smaller and much faster than conventional ones. Only a few of them can carry vehicles. Their main advantage is that they go twice as fast.
Passengers are usually not allowed to sit outside even though there is some space on some of them. The accommodation inside is a little like a very wide airplane. The better the class, the wider the seat. There are no cabins.
Smoking is not allowed in any inside area of any ship.
- Piraeus (Athens main port) - click here for port information
- Lavrio (Athens secondary port - East Attica coast) - click here for port information
- East Macedonia & Thrace - Kavala
- Cyclades islands - Amorgos, Anafi, Andros, Donoussa, Folegandros, Heraklia, Ios, Kea, Kimolos, Koufonissi, Kythnos, Milos, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Schinoussa, Serifos, Sifnos, Sikinos, Tinos.
- Dodekanissos - Astypalaia, Kos, Leros, Patmos, Rodos
- North Aegean - Chios, Fourni, Ikaria, Lesvos, Limnos, Samos
Note: Not all above connections operate throughout the year.
Prices quoted below concern 2016, for the most popular routes, in economy class and are indicative. Same prices apply v.v. These prices are subject to change without prior notice.
|Athens - Syros ferries||Ferry types|
|Piraeus - Syros ferry||approx. 32€/adult|
|Cyclades - Syros ferries|
|Paros - Syros ferry||approx. 8€/adult|
|Dodekanissos - Syros ferry|
|Rhodes - Syros ferries||approx. 49€/adult|
*Note: Hydrofoils/Catamarans usually operate between May and October.